How to teach a puppy to go to the toilet outside?
Teaching a puppy to the toilet is the foundation of the basics of education. For inexperienced dog owners, this can be difficult, but in practice it’s not so much easier than it seems. By their nature, dogs are not inclined to go to the toilet where they live, and the main task of the owner is to fix this habit with the pet in a timely manner. So we arm with useful information and take the situation under control. How to teach a puppy to walk? – 10 useful tips to help you!
1. From what age to teach a puppy to the toilet? The sooner you engage in upbringing, the better, but without fanaticism. Puppies are trained to walk only after full vaccination, i.e. about 4 months old. While vaccinations are not made and quarantine has not passed, the pet should not leave the apartment.
2. Puppies are like children. And need the same care. Whenever possible, take a leave of absence, at least for 5 days. This will help you come to grips with upbringing, timely stop the puppy’s “doing things” at the wrong place, and foster in it association with the paddock and toilet. Believe me, a week of scrutiny will be enough to not return to this issue in the future.
3. Feed your puppy at the same time. As a rule, puppies are fed 4 times a day. Evenly distribute meals throughout the day and stick to your schedule. What are we doing this for? We read in the next paragraph.
4. Kids have fast digestion, and almost immediately after eating, they want to go to the toilet. Make it a rule to take a puppy for a walk immediately after eating. Thus, following the feeding schedule will allow you to control the puppy’s toilet and train him to the daily routine.
How to teach a puppy to the toilet?
5. Puppies go to the toilet often, and in the first weeks of upbringing they will need additional paddocks. Watch your pet carefully. As soon as you noticed that he got worried, began to sniff (look for a place), press the tail, etc. – urgently grab the puppy and carry him outside. Any delay in such a situation is a dangerous risk: the baby will not wait until you powder your nose.
6. If the puppy does “do the work” at home, carefully wipe away the traces of the offense. Use special remedies to eliminate odor (for example, Natures Miracle 8in1 odor killers). Your task is to thoroughly clean the contaminated area so that the next time the pet doesn’t do “new things” according to the “old smell”.
7. Do not punish the puppy if he has not tolerated the street. You will not solve the problem by poking it in the left puddle. Contrary to popular belief, dogs do not understand this action! The only thing you will achieve with such education is the intimidation of the dog and its distrust of you.
8. But what if there is no opportunity to take a vacation? How to control the toilet of a puppy when you go on business? If possible, ask relatives to walk their pet in your absence. Regardless of the breed, babies are not recommended to be left alone for long. It is better to have at least one family member nearby. Another assistant in this business is the cell. See next item.
9. Get a special cage for dogs. No, it is not cruel. Rather the opposite! Think for yourself. When you leave for work, leaving the pet alone, there is no one to look after him and he may accidentally get injured. But in a cage nothing will threaten him, it’s like a playpen for children: a guarantee of safety and comfort. In addition, the cage will help teach the puppy to walk. The puppy does not make a mess where he sleeps and eats, so in order to carry out his affairs he will wait for him to be released from the cage and taken out into the street. Of course, this method works only with the right approach. Leaving the little puppy in a cage for the whole day and hoping that all this time he will tolerate up to the street is an unacceptable and cruel measure.
How to teach a puppy to the toilet?
10. In order for a puppy to be comfortable in a cage, it must fit in its size, be spacious, and its material must be durable and safe. Some models have special partitions that allow you to adjust the size as the dog grows (for example, in MidWest cells). Do not forget to put in the cage your favorite pet bed, a few toys and put the bowls of water and food. Then the perfect (and safe) leisure of the baby will be provided!
Patience to you! We hope that the process of education will not be a difficult job, but a pleasant interaction with your four-legged friend, who sets up a wave of trust and friendship.