How to train a dog?
Every dog owner should understand that he is fully responsible for the life, as well as for the physical and mental health of his pet. The animal must be managed. This is necessary for the safety of both the owner and other members of the society in which it lives. Therefore, immediately with the advent of a puppy in the house, an important and responsible process of its socialization and upbringing begins, which gradually develops into a real training of an adult dog.
How to train a dog at home?
If you plan to start practicing with a puppy, then the best age for mastering the basics is 4 months. Success depends on the following factors:
1. Motivation. In order for a dog to be included in the process of training with pleasure, it is necessary to interest her in this. Therefore, each correct execution of a team should be rewarded with a delicacy, praise and stroking.
Timing – it is important to give encouragement in the form of treats or compliment with praise – only after the team is fully executed, but at the same time IMMEDIATELY. If you delay with the treat – the dog will not associate it with the action performed, the effect of fixing the command will not work. If the dog does not complete the command to the end and receives a reward before this point, it will also not learn to execute the commands correctly.
Negative motivation or negative reinforcement, is used only to prevent undesirable (incorrect or even dangerous) behavior of the dog. However, if the dog fulfilled the command, even if not immediately, being distracted during the process or after several repetitions, but nevertheless fulfilled to the end – many scold the dog, which cannot be done in any way. For example, if you gave the command “To me!”, The dog persisted for a long time, but after 5 minutes it still came up – you can’t blame the dog, otherwise it will understand it as stopping undesirable behavior and will stop coming up at all. You will achieve the opposite effect, which will be difficult to correct.
2. The readiness of the animal to work. For classes to be productive, you must consider the following factors:
the puppy should experience light hunger. This will make him try to win the treat and actively carry out tasks. In a well-fed pet, the motivation is much lower, and besides, after a meal, you cannot load a puppy, because active games, running and jumping can cause an intestinal twist;
before class, you must take a walk with your pet so that he goes to the toilet. Natural urges distract dogs from the process of training.
3. Favorable weather conditions. If the weather is too hot, then the dog should be trained in the early morning when there is no scorching sun. Otherwise, the animal will become lethargic, it will be difficult for him to concentrate on the fulfillment of the tasks assigned to him. Also, do not engage with a pet in the rain, because he will be distracted by an abundance of new odors.
4. External stimuli. They need to be introduced gradually, as the team learns. The first dog training is best done in a quiet place away from people, roads, walking places of other animals, so that the pet does not distract. For starters, you can try to give commands at home.
5. The mood of the host. During dog training it is necessary to have a calm and benevolent tone, even if the animal does not work over and over again. Your negative reaction may discourage your pet from pursuing further. The more you get mad at him during the execution of a command, the more confused he becomes. Reconsider your methodology, perhaps it is you who are making a mistake in something that causes him to act incorrectly. For example, when teaching the team to “lie down”, inexperienced trainers hold a piece of treats away from the dog’s muzzle, which causes them to crawl towards him.
How to train a dog at home?
Which teams are useful to learn at home?
If you intend to take the standards for early and late days, then all the necessary information about the rules for conducting the tests can be found on the website of the RKF (Russian Cynological Federation).
If you teach dog training just to make the animal manageable and easier to live in society (walk the streets quietly, so that it responds adequately to all external stimuli, etc.), you should teach the following commands :
These teams are easy to learn – you can train yourself, successfully teaching them a dog. But under no circumstances do not try to master the course of ZKS with your pet. His study should take place only under the guidance of a professional canine and after the date of the early launch. Otherwise, you can damage the dog’s psyche with such training, making it cowardly or overly aggressive. Only a specialist can correctly “put” an animal on a sleeve, teach how to react to swings, etc. Those who neglect these rules and conduct similar training at home, more often then put the pet to sleep, because it becomes dangerous, and behavior can not be controlled.